Bed & Breakfast de Wiekeborg
9665 MR OUDE PEKELA
Check-in time: between 2 pm and 11 pm. Check-out time: before 11 am
To make your stay in our house as pleasant
possible, you will find
here the most important information:
The name of our house, built in 1997, is also the name of our B&B (since 2015). In the past, many (peat colonial) villages had side channels from the main channel for the removal of peat, beets and potatoes. They are called neighborhoods. In Groningen, a ‘wick’. One of those neighborhoods used to run right across the spot where our house was built. On the other side (at the Vijverlaan) this district is still an open piece of water. Borgen are stone country houses, the province of Groningen still has sixteen of them. Some deposits are small castles and a point of interest. Borg also means a safe place. And that is what we offer you.
Receiver: Molema Communication BV, Oude Pekela
IBAN: NL53 RABO 0119 8694 70
Payment preferably in cash.
The (continental) breakfast is served between 07:30 and 10:30. It can be delivered to the relevant accommodation or served in our living room. When the weather is nice, you can have breakfast in the garden or by the water.
For people who have to leave very early, breakfast in the form of a packed lunch can be delivered to the relevant accommodation the evening before on request.
If you have special wishes regarding breakfast, please inform the host early.
You have access to a free parking space in our driveway. Should it happen that you have to park your car behind a guest’s car, please bear in mind that the other guest may have to leave before you. Preferably do not park your car along the road. To charge electric cars, you can go to the public car park at the town hall, Raadhuislaan 8. Distance: 1200 meters.
B&B de Wiekeborg has its own shuttle service for a fee to and from Schiphol national airport, the city of Groningen, the Bourtange fortress, the bicycle rental company in Vlagtwedde, the train stations in Winschoten, Veendam and Groningen and other desired places. Ask for the rates.
The buses run every hour to the train stations in Winschoten and Veendam. This concerns line number 23. Boarding and alighting is possible at the location IJsbaanlaan (beginning of Snaterlaan). Distance from the Wiekeborg: 800 meters.
You can rent bicycles from Arjan Borgers in Vlagtwedde (13 km from the Wiekeborg): Phone: +31599313166. Mail: email@example.com
You can let us take care of the washing of your clothes. The costs are 10 euros for a full wash (6.5 kilos). You can use our facilities free of charge for ironing.
The rooms are thoroughly cleaned after the departure of each guest, the beds are changed. For a longer stay, the guest must indicate when cleaning or changing must be carried out by us. Of course there are no costs involved.
We make sure that there are enough washcloths and towels every day. The same goes for toilet paper. Extra toilet paper can be found in the bathroom and by the shower.
If you need an invoice for your accommodation costs, please report this as soon as possible after arrival. We will then ensure that you receive this invoice digitally or on paper.
In and near every refrigerator you will find red and white wine, various types of beer and soft drinks and all kinds of crisps. The prices are: beer and soft drinks 2.50 euros, wine 4.00 euros and chips 0.75 euros. We trust that you will settle any costs with us upon departure. The candy is free.
Look at ‘WIEKE GUEST’ under connections on your telephone, tablet or computer. If you click on that, you are connected. No code.
If you have a TV in your room, you will find a list of over 55 TV and 40 radio channels in your room. You can also watch movies for free via Netflix.
You can swim and fish in the lake. There are two small beaches further on, one on the way to the forest, the other at the beginning of the forest. You do not need a permit for fishing. You can also take a lovely walk along the lake or through the woods. Within four minutes you can already walk in the Pekelder forest.
We recommend that you always lock your room upon departure. You are responsible for damage or loss of valuables. If desired, you can give valuables to us for safekeeping. Bicycles and motorcycles can be parked in the garage free of charge. There is also a charging option for E-bikes.
Emergency call (hospital, police, fire brigade): +31112
Town Hall: +31597617555
Doctor, Black: +31597612688 or 597615050 (urgent)
Arts, Feis: +31597612550
Police: +319008844 (not urgent)
Oude Pekela (8,000 inhabitants) is one of three villages in the municipality of Pekela. The other two are Nieuwe Pekela and Boven Pekela (5,000 inhabitants together).
The peat colonial village is located on the Pekelder Deep. The Pekel A is a peat river around East Groningen, which forms the continuation of the Pekelderdiep. The Pekel A flows from Oude Pekela to De Bult (east of Winschoten), where it joins the Westerwoldse Aa. The Pekelderdiep originally formed the upper reaches of the Pekel A, but was channeled in the 18th and 19th centuries. Brine (‘water saturated with salt’) and A refers to ‘a watercourse’; the Pekel A is therefore ‘the salty stream’.
Oude Pekela was founded in 1640. The reformed church from 1685 is one of the oldest buildings in the village, which also had a lively Jewish community (115 inhabitants) until the Second World War. Only the Jewish cemetery now reminds us of that.
The most famous people born in Oude Pekela are politician and trade union official Fré Meis and footballer Gerard Wiekens (SC Veendam, Manchester City). The village used to have a well-known music band that scored some national hits, the Ro-D-Ys. A statue of the musicians can be seen in the square in the center.
Behind our house, at about 400 meters, there is the ‘Pekelder Diep’, the main channel. You have crossed one of the bridges of this canal to reach us. The canal runs right through the three villages. Across the water are the restaurants, shops and other facilities, all within a radius of 1700 meters from our B&B.
Oude Pekela has a number of restaurants. We list them for you:
Pekelahof, Raadhuislaan 109. Tel. +31597-618444. Open from 11:30 am to 9:00 pm. Closed on Monday and Tuesday. Reservations recommended on weekends. Distance: 1800 meters.
Chinese Fan Yong, Flessterrein 3. Tel. +31597-675489. Open from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Also pick up. Closed on Monday. Distance: 3600 meters.
Italian La Mama, Feiko Clockstraat 93. Tel. +31597-671034. Open from 3:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Closed on Monday. Also pick up and delivery. No alcohol. Distance: 1300 meters.
Cafeteria / grill room Sultan. Feiko Clockstraat 221. Tel. +31597-675113. Open from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Closed on Tuesday. Also pick up and delivery. Distance: 950 meters.
Cafeteria and ice cream parlor Gerringa. Feiko Clockstraat 183. Tel. +31597618491. Open from 11.30am to 9pm. Closed on Monday. Pick up only. Distance: 750 meters.
Other restaurants: There are numerous restaurants in the region and a short distance (5-20 km) from the Wiekeborg, including in Westerlee, Winschoten, Veendam, Beerta, Wedde and Stadskanaal. Just across the border at Bad Nieuweschans and Bellingwolde, in the German border region (20 km from the Wiekeborg), there are also several nice restaurants.
Old Pekela shopping center. De Helling 22A with, among others, Aldi, Jumbo, Action, Primera, jeweler, bakery, clothing store, flower shop, ATM, radio and TV store and shoe service. (free parking)
The city of Groningen is one of the ‘highlights’ for our guests. Groningen is the capital of our province, but also a student city with 240,000 inhabitants and lots of bicycles and many places of interest, such as the Grote Markt, the Martinitoren, the museum and the Forum building. It is best to park your car in the parking garage at Rademarkt 27, opposite the police station. You are then directly in the center by going outside via the elevator and the stairs and crossing the Gedempte Zuiderdiep at an angle. On the corner of the main shopping street, the Herestraat, you will see clothing store C&A. At the end of the Herestraat you can turn left to the Vismarkt and right to the Grote Markt and, among other things, the Poelestraat (restaurants).
Distances from Oude Pekela to: Groningen 40 km, Amsterdam 215 km, Hamburg 270 km, Berlin 550 km, Brussels 370 km and Paris 675 km.
Parking only costs money in the cities of Groningen, Assen and Emmen.
- Do you like art, visit the Groninger museum.
- If you are interested in regional history, visit the Veenkoloniaal museum in Veendam or the open air museum Het Hogeland in Warffum in North Groningen.
- If you like a city and want a varied, delicious meal, visit the student and provincial capital of Groningen.
- If you want to go back four centuries, visit the Bourtange fortress.
- If you want to relax and have your body taken care of, visit Thermen Bad Nieuweschans.
- Are you interested in the Second World War, visit camp Westerbork.
- Do you like ports, visit Delfzijl and the German Emden.
- If you want to see a nice German fishing village, visit Ditzum.
- Would you like to see a nice Dutch fishing village with a beach, visit Termunterzijl.
- If you want to climb the Martinitoren, visit the city of Groningen.
- If you would like to see Groningen castles, visit the Fraeylemaborg in Slochteren.
- If you want to see a special monastery, visit the museum-monastery in Ter Apel.
- If you want to experience the most beautiful nature of this region, go hiking and cycling in the woods around Sellingen (Ter Borg, Smeerling and Sellingerbeetse). More info in the house.
- If you like plants, visit the 20-hectare garden of Hortus Botanicus in Haren.
- Do you like seals, visit the seal center in Pieterburen.
- Do you like vast nature by the sea, visit National Park Lauwersmeer.
- If you like shipping, visit the Northern Maritime Museum in the city of Groningen.
- If you like a lake, visit the Zuidlaardermeer or the Oldambtmeer in the Blauwestad (8 km from the Wiekeborg). Even if you want to marvel at villas on the water, you can go to the Blauwestad.
- If you want to go to an animal park, visit the Wildlands zoo in Emmen.
- Would you like to swim, visit the subtropical swimming pool Tropiqua in Veendam.
- If your children want to discover nature, go to the Wonderworld in Ter Apel or the Sprookjeshof in Zuidlaren.
- If your children want to play indoors, go to the Leeuwenborg in Nieuw-Scheemda or to the LEGO-museum in Grootegast (plus two extra museums).
- If you want to know everything about dolmens, visit the hunebed center in Borger (Drenthe)
- If you want to know everything about peat and peat, visit the peat museum in Emmercompascuum (Drenthe)
- If you want to go back a few centuries, visit the Ellert and Brammert open-air museum in Schoonoord (Drenthe).
If you don’t know yet, ask us. Because there is much more!
We wish you a relaxing holiday in B&B de Wiekeborg
We are already looking forward to your next visit. You can RESERVE directly with us, via the website, WhatsApp, telephone and e-mail.
Wij willen u hartelijk bedanken voor uw bezoek aan B&B de Wiekeborg en gaan ervan uit dat alles naar wens is geweest.
Bij op- of aanmerkingen over uw bezoek horen wij dit graag van u. Laat u ons dat even weten via 06-126.96.36.199 of stuur een e-mail naar firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wij zouden het zeer waarderen als u uw positieve ervaring zou willen delen via een review op google of op een boekingssite.
WIJ ZEGGEN DANKJEWEL!
BEDANKT voor jullie bezoeken en boekingen.
BEDANKT aan al onze gasten, en vooral aan hen die ons al jaren trouw zijn.
BEDANKT aan alle buurtbewoners en collega’s.